Friday, January 23, 2009

Eucalyptus Oil for Cold Relief


My 13 month old son recently had a cold. Pretty mild, but because we had switched some time ago to a holistic pediatrician I thought I would call in to take advantage of their useful natural solutions advice to treating illnesses. Of course the nurse mentioned the run of the mill things I had been doing: elevate the head at night, run the humidifier, suction his nose and so on. But there was one tip I had not though of- they suggest putting one drop of eucalyptus oil in a teaspoon of olive oil and rub on the chest (I also put a little under his nose). I did this for him at night and saw a big difference in how he seemed to be feeling. The scent certainly does ease breathing! I plan on doing this the next time I get a cold too, right along with using my neti pot... something I laugh about trying to get my 13 month to use :)

(If you are in North Jersey, we go to Dr. Lawrence Rosen in Oradell. His office is called "The Whole Child Center" : http://www.wholechildcenter.org/ . He also writes a very interesting blog, which you can access from the fore listed site.)

No comments: